What do you wish you had more time to do? Join the #TechShabbat Challenge! Unplug for 24 hours this weekend, and spend the day doing activities you love, with people you love. Check out Week 4 below for tips on taking a #TechShabbat, or begin with Week 1 and check them all out (each week includes great articles, videos, and ideas).
We had an amazing lineup of scientists, educators, students, authors, doctors, rabbis, and artists, all talking about the relationship between character development and screen use from different perspectives. Everyone speaking was encouraged to try a #TechShabbat before Character Day. Tune in to hear what they have to say!
Have you tried a #TechShabbat? Maybe you tried some of the Weekly Challenges (below)? Be part of our new research! We’re working with researchers at UPENN to launch a new study about the impact of turning off screens regularly. Why? While there are a number of important studies about the negative effects of screen use, what we’re interested in is the positive effects of turning off screens more regularly. How does turning off screens regularly impact our character? Our perspective and wellbeing? Our communities, relationships, and world? The survey takes 5 minutes, and you’ll be entered to win a $100 gift card.
The lens of looking at the relationship between character development and screen use is drawn from co-founder Tiffany Shlain’s new book 24/6: The Power of Unplugging One Day A Week that was just published by Simon & Schuster’s Gallery Books.
Watch Tiffany talk about the book on The TODAY Show.
WE PROVIDE (FOR FREE):
– Award-winning suite of engaging short films by Emmy-nominated filmmakers
– Hands-on discussion kits with posters and evidence-based discussion materials for all ages
– Robust resource hub with over 5,000 curated and sortable resources
– All-day Global Live Stream featuring scientists, authors, artists, and other acclaimed character development and SEL experts
– Opportunity to be part of a global event about character development
– Access to year-round character development programs provided by highly-vetted partners
YOU CREATE AN EVENT THAT WORKS FOR YOU: Any size. Anywhere in the world. Signing up takes three minutes.
We partnered with ImpactED at the Fels Institute of Government at UPENN to evaluate the qualitative impact of Character Day on individuals and institutions who participate. You can read the full report and three case studies here. Below are some highlights.
– 93% of Character Day hosts reported participating in Character Day increased their *personal* intention to develop character.
– 80% reported participating increased their *institution’s* support of character development.
– 96% reported positive experiences and intention to continue participating in Character Day.
– 100% reported they wanted more: more ways to engage, more content, and more resources, year-round.
An enormous thank you to the amazing partners who help expand this initiative and cultivate character around the globe!